To celebrate national cake day, we have this traditional classic, but with a twist!
• 500g stale white bread
• 580ml milk
• 150g sultanas
• 50g currants
• 125g caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon mixed spice
• break the bread into pieces and place in a bowl. Pour over 300ml of the milk, and set aside for an hour minimum.
• grease or line a deep tin, and preheat the oven to 150
• add the sultanas, currants, sugar and mixed spice to the bread, and give a good stir
• then add the remaining milk and beaten eggs
• pour into the tin and put in the oven for roughly 1 hour. The top should be slightly browning, and a knife/skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
• brush with milk and top with sugar, then bake for a further 10 minutes, if wanted.
• allow to cool slightly, then serve!